Vetting Officer, APACMelbourne
RightShip is the world’s biggest third party maritime due diligence organisation, providing expertise in global safety, sustainability and social responsibility best practices.
We bring together years of industry expertise with the output from analytics and large data sets to provide our safety and environmental scoring systems, recommendations and consultancy services.
Using leading data and technology, we aim to set new benchmarks in environmental protection. We support global initiatives and action influencing practical and impactful change, enabling “win-win” for business and the environment.
To find out more visit RightShip.com.
Values and benefits
What we offer
We offer a place where you know you are contributing to an organisation who are constantly working to ensure ships are safe as possible so that crew and cargo are protected. We are passionate about maritime efficiency, safety and sustainability practices.
We offer generous rewards. Our base salary is competitive, we support employee wellbeing and provide our employees with a Healthy Living Allowance and our annual incentive scheme is awesome.
We have some great talent who are happy to share their experience and skills to help you on your way and we are committed to professional development to make sure your career keeps growing while you are working with us.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Vetting Officer is responsible for providing a full range of administrative support to the vetting team and for dealing with routine enquiries from RightShip customers, including Ship Managers and Charterers.
- Act as the first point of contact for the Vetting team including daily monitoring and responding to e-mails and phone calls
- Escalate critical issues as appropriate
- Maintain the vetting database by receiving and inputting Port State Control and Incident data into the Qi Platform in an accurate and timely manner
- Review the quality of Root Cause Analysis, Corrective and Preventative Action plans submitted for Port State Control deficiencies, and if required engage with Ship Managers on the requirements for satisfactory close-out
- To assist, as directed by the Global Marine Process Manager, in supporting the Vetting Superintendents in relation to Vetting Operations
- Manage routine vetting enquiries from external parties
- Prioritise own workload, ensuring deadlines are achieved and a high quality of service to customers is maintained
- Ensuring a high level of accuracy and data validation in respect of records maintained and tasks undertaken within the Qi System
- Provide support to respond to queries about RightShip activities (i.e. vetting, risk rating, GHG rating, Inspections, etc)
- Ensure that all correspondence with external parties and provided documentation is properly maintained and archived as per company procedures
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Mandatory - Chief Mate or 2nd Engineer (CoC) and have sailed on International Trading vessels for a minimum of 5 years
- Must be able to demonstrate a strong background in safety - Oil Major/Tanker background preferable
- Incident Investigation / Root Cause Analysis Training highly desirable
- Experience in the role of Safety Officer desirable
- Practical knowledge of ship construction, ship structures, ship machinery, ship repairing, ships’ operations, chartering and Quality Management System
- A good understanding of ship surveys and certification including PSC, USCG, Flag State Surveys
- A good understanding of International Legislation relevant to shipping (relevant IMO and ILO regulations) and the Industry Practices and ISM Code, STCW
- A thorough understanding of vessel operations including current industry standards and recommended best practices (such as put out by OCIMF, ICS, Dry bulk, Chemical and Gas vessels)
- Excellent IT skills including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office
RightShip is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity, enables access and promotes inclusion in our workplace. You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.