Geospatial SpecialistMelbourne or Singapore
RightShip is the world’s biggest third party maritime due diligence organisation, providing expertise in global safety, sustainability and social responsibility best practices.
We bring together years of industry expertise with the output from analytics and large data sets to provide our safety and environmental scoring systems, recommendations and consultancy services.
Using leading data and technology, we aim to set new benchmarks in environmental protection. We support global initiatives and action influencing practical and impactful change, enabling “win-win” for business and the environment.
To find out more visit RightShip.com.
Values and benefits
What we offer
We offer a place where you know you are contributing to an organisation who are constantly working to ensure ships are safe as possible so that crew and cargo are protected. We are passionate about maritime efficiency, safety and sustainability practices.
We offer generous rewards. Our base salary is competitive, we support employee wellbeing and provide our employees with a Healthy Living Allowance and our annual incentive scheme is awesome. We are committed to professional development to make sure that your career keeps growing while you’re working with us. We have some great talent who are happy to share their experience and skills to help you on your way and we are committed to professional development to make sure your career keeps growing while you’re working with us.
As leading maritime safety and environmental experts, RightShip has an ambitious vision to expand its influence in safety, sustainability and crew welfare using the best new
innovation, digitalization and data-focused solutions.
We are seeking an experienced and competent Geospatial Specialist who will work closely with product managers, UX/UI designers and backend engineers to conduct AIS data exploration and create proof-of-concepts leveraging different data sources.
This role reports to the Senior Data Scientist.
- Design and develop AIS applications for internal use and client deliverables
- Work with large sets of AIS data and establish accurate and scalable analytics systems across varied applications
- Identify what data is available and relevant, including both internal and external data sources
- Maintain a high-quality database of structured and unstructured maritime data as the foundation for analysis and insights
- Perform quality assurance on AIS data and processes
- Collaborate with internal and external subject matter experts to select the relevant sources of information for the business
- Incorporate relevant data related algorithms in the products to solve business problems and improve them over time
- Automate repetitive data modelling and analytics tasks
- Work with the RightShip product and customer teams to provide efficient data cuts to generate:
- Business understanding
- Data understanding
- Data preparation
- Modelling and evaluation
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Relevant qualifications in Computer Science, Geospatial Sciences, Statistics or related curriculum
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in geospatial technology
- Strong skills with one or more GIS packages including scripting, programming, modeling, and designing.
- Knowledge and experience of typical data preparation techniques used in the context of machine learning and statistical analysis
- Prior experience in maritime industry will be a strong advantage
- Moderate knowledge of programming languages widely used in statistics / computation such as R and Python.
- Proficiency in SQL and knowledge of database and data warehouse design
- Prior experience using PowerBI and/or Tableau an advantage
- Understanding of Agile philosophy and prior experience working in an Agile environment
- Excellent numeracy, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite of software, in particular MS Excel
- Strong time management skills with the ability to reconcile multiple conflicting deadlines
- Ability to develop, build and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders
- Flexibility to undertake a range of complex tasks and work hours necessary to meet business objectives
- A personal commitment to improved safety and environmental sustainability of the maritime industry
RightShip is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity, enables access and promotes inclusion in our workplace. You must have the right to live and work in Singapore or Australia to apply for this job.